Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Helmet Rule


"You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I can't understand what's gone wrong with it." - that's Mr. Fonda in the movie Easy Rider. Yeah, wind in your hair and the wide open roads ahead of you. But that's changing starting now in my city. With a helmet over my head to clamp out the smoke, the noise and as many claim, visibility. But doesn't it mean I am a lot more safer using a helmet now? Well, there are the believers and then there are the bare headed ones. Many countries and states inside many of them have varied stances on the use of the helmet for two wheelers. There are many takes on the usage of this foam filled plastic contraption that I will end up strapping over my head. Some say that it doesn't help in speeds above a 100 kmph. Others claim that there's no harm in protecting the most sensitive and important part of the human body. Others totally disapprove of it and deem it an instrument to clamp down on personal freedom. There are claims that using one actually increases the chances of being run down by larger vehicles. Some say its personal freedom of choice. Whatever it means to you or the guy ripping around on his bike on the streets, I am gonna strap on my helmet. Afterall, the damn thing saved my life once.

No comments: